My second mock-up of Form Group. I've reduced the back cushion & support in height & I think the proportions are looking better now. I've also slightly adjusted the position of the legs.
This time I used cut down matchsticks for the legs of the frame. I've glued them to the frame base, but (just for the mock-up) added thin strips of masking tape to join each side of the leg to the frame base to give added strength.
I still haven't figured out how to construct the frame base, other than just glueing the legs directly on. Done that way I think the legs would easily break off the base, & it would be tricky to glue them on at a clean right angle.
There must be a better way of doing it. I might have had an idea this morning, it's something i'd have to actually test out in basswood though.
There must be a better way of doing it. I might have had an idea this morning, it's something i'd have to actually test out in basswood though.
I've had to rethink the cushions, adding a fabric cover to the polystyrene cushions will make them too bulky & I don't think there's any way of doing that as well as I'd like.
The alternative is to make fabric cushions in 3 sizes (stool, seat base & seat back) constructed like pillow covers - with an opening in the center of the back, which I could insert squares of felt into to pad them out a bit. I'm not sure how well this would work yet, I'll have to make some patterns & put some together, then see how it looks.
For picture 3 I temporarily attached some Osnaburg fabric to the cushions to see how it looked, as this is what I'm considering making some test cushions from. I wanted something to emulate the lovely slub tweed that has been used to reupholster this Form Group seating at Elephant & Monkey.






No comments:
Post a Comment