No progress yesterday, but I did take a photo of where I'm up to (with some Re-Ment miniatures).
All the pieces for a 2 section Form Group are cut & sanded. I'll probably re-check the measurements on all the pieces again before I glue them.
I'm not sure what glue I already have or what will be best to use. I made some kitchen, etc, counter tops for some Ikea Lillabo furniture from basswood a few years ago, & whatever glue I used worked well, I just wish I could remember what exactly I used.
Also, the Mame family will be expanding (again). Two more will be travelling from Japan soon upping the number to 19. At least they have 3 dollhouses to inhabit now.

I was visiting my local dolls house shop on Saturday and saying I was having issues with my PVA glue and he said he swears by Welbond, which glues anything to anything.
ReplyDeleteFor attaching the seat cushion fabric you might want to consider using fusible webbing which means no worrying about glue marks on the upholstery!
Thanks so much for the comment & ideas Shopping Sherpa!
ReplyDeleteIs PVA what you usually use when making miniature furniture? I'd never heard of Welbond! (I wonder if it has a slightly different name in the UK, or if Weldbond is something different). It sounds great, but I think I might need something that sets quite fast (especially for the legs & the angled back to the seat).
I was thinking of attaching the pillows with a bit of PVA, but I'm not sure yet. Fusible webbing is such a great idea! I think whether I could do it that way or not depends on how i finish the wood (applying an iron to something that's stained or varnished might be counter productive).
I've used a darker stain on basswood before, & even after years, have found it doesn't like Re-ment miniatures left on it (must be something reacting between the stain & plastic). For now ,& the first version in basswood, I'll probably just use what I already have, but it might not be the most ideal way to finish it. I wish I was less clueless about all this (methods & materials), at the moment it's all a big learning curve so I really appreciate any advice or tips.
I hate stain as you have to use it before you glue otherwise the glue marks show up something awful.
ReplyDeleteInstead I use either coloured polyurethene (or other coloured varnish) or some lovely coloured wax polish I bought years and years ago: which gives a lovely vintage patina.
I used coloured varnish on this cupboard: http://theshoppingsherpa.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-creative-space.html and coloured wax on the hall stand and doors in this house: http://theshoppingsherpa.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-creative-space.html
Forgot to mention: tacky glue is better than PVA but PVA turns into tacky if left out to air for a while :-)
ReplyDeleteOh yes, argh! I've made that mistake before - staining after glueing.
ReplyDeleteI didn't get the link for the stairs, but the cupboard looks brilliant! Your miniatures & set ups are always so great, & I've been following your blog for years, so it's wonderful to get comments & tips from you. Thanks again.
I use Everbuild PVA wood glue for all my wooden creations and can highly recommend it. Nothing has fallen apart...yet ;0)
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for the tip Pepper, I'll look out for it!
ReplyDelete