Ideal Home magazine commissioned Day to design a living room (which appeared in their February 1960 issue) & this included Modulus, a range of modular seating, which was later renamed to Form Group when Hille began to manufacture it.
The Form Group seating has 8 basic elements:
- 3 black steel frames (4'8", 7' & 9'4")
- chair unit
- seat unit
- table top (which came in white or black melamine, teak or mahogany veneer)
- cabinet (which came in teak or mahogany veneer, & had a lift up lid)
- chair arm
So far all I've done is work out the measurements & convert to 1:16. I think they're right - they're close to the dimensions of a vintage 1:16 couch I have. I'm going to try making a mock-up in thick paper or card first, see how it looks, & make any adjustments if necessary, then if all is well, try making it in basswood. I don't have any fancy tools - just the basics, blades, sandpaper, etc, but I'm hoping that will be enough for something that is all straight lines & simple shapes.
I thought the cushions might be tricky (being quite slim on the original seating anyway) but the box the Lundby Gothenberg arrived in had a load of polystyrene plates in it for padding (amongst other things) & I think they're the perfect thickness for the cushions (just 4mm thick) so I'm glad I saved them & didn't just throw them out.
I think using the polystyrene plates for the cushions is brilliant! Then they are "Lundby Gothenberg" cushions, too. XD
ReplyDeleteheh, yep! & thanks Hillary! I'm half way through making a mock-up for the equivalent of a 4'8" (2 section) module at the moment, I just have to figure out a way to do those thin damn legs now. I have an idea, but not sure if it will work yet. Hopefully photos of the mock-up soon!
ReplyDelete